Fig. Abdomen MRI Gastric paraplasm (red arrow). Image: Courtesy of the authors
Management of a Patient with Gastric Cancer During Pregnancy
Study Objective. To present a case of a pregnant woman with gastric cancer (GC); to focus on diagnostic search and treatment strategy.
Key Points. A 22-year old patient(N.) was diagnosed with GC сT3NxM0 G3, HER-2/neu negative at gestation week 33 2/7. Taking into account GC (colloid morphologic variant), duration of gestation guaranteeing viable foetus, it was decided to perform caesarean section. On day 5 postpartum, the patient was transferred to the oncology centre for treatment and induction (preoperative) poly chemotherapy. The patient underwent two cycles of chemotherapy (standard FLOT regimen) with partial regression. Then, extended gastrectomy with lymph node dissection D2 was undertaken, followed by three cycles of postoperative chemotherapy using the same regimen.
Conclusion. Management approach for pregnant patients with cancer should be multidisciplinary, involving obstetrician/ gynaecologist and oncologist who possess adequate clinical experience and state-of-art knowledge. It will allow to timely define the therapy strategy, time and type of delivery, taking into account duration of gestation, disease state and minimisation of risks for mother and foetus.
Conflict of interest: the authors declare no potential conflicts of interests.
A.E. Protasova (Corresponding author) — V.A. Almazov National Medical Research Center; 2 Akkuratova Str., St. Petersburg, Russian Federation 197341. eLIBRARY.RU SPIN: 4097-0969. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
I.E. Zazerskaya — V.A. Almazov National Medical Research Center; 2 Akkuratova Str., St. Petersburg, Russian Federation 197341. eLIBRARY.RU SPIN: 5683-6741. E -mail: email@example.com
A.B. Ilyin — V.A. Almazov National Medical Research Center; 2 Akkuratova Str., St. Petersburg, Russian Federation 197341. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
N.A. Osipova — V.A. Almazov National Medical Research Center; 2 Akkuratova Str., St. Petersburg, Russian Federation 197341. eLIBRARY.RU SPIN: 6151-8696. E-mail: email@example.com
E.S. Shelepova — V.A. Almazov National Medical Research Center; 2 Akkuratova Str., St. Petersburg, Russian Federation 197341. eLIBRARY.RU SPIN: 9474-1351. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
E.A. Bobrova — V.A. Almazov National Medical Research Center; 2 Akkuratova Str., St. Petersburg, Russian Federation 197341. E-mail: email@example.com
- Ferlay J., Soerjomataram I., Dikshit R., Eser S., Mathers C., Rebelo M. et al. Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: sources, methods and major patterns in GLOBOCAN 2012. Int. J. Cancer. 2015; 136(5): E359–86. DOI: 10.1002/ijc.29210
- Siegel R.L., Miller K.D., Jemal A. Cancer statistics, 2018. CA Cancer J. Clin. 2018; 68(1): 7–30. DOI: 10.3322/caac.21442
- Irino T., Takeuchi H., Terashima M., Wakai T., Kitagawa Y. Gastric cancer in Asia: unique features and management. Am. Soc. Clin. Oncol. Educ. Book. 2017; 37: 279–91. DOI: 10.1200/EDBK_175228
- Gastric Cancer. Clinical Recommendations. Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation; 2018. 34 p. (in Russian)
- Besova N.S., Byakhov M.Yu., Konstantinova M.M., Ter-Ovanesov M.D., Lyadov V.K. Practical recommendations for gastric cancer medication. Malignant neoplasms. 2018; 8(3s2): 273–88. (in Russian). DOI: 10.18 027 / 2224-5057-2018-8-3s2-273-288
- Pacheco S., Norero E., Canales C., Martínez J.M., Herrera M.E., Muñoz C. et al. The rare and challenging presentation of gastric cancer during pregnancy: a report of three cases. J. Gastric Cancer. 2016; 16(4): 271–6. DOI: 10.5230/jgc.2016.16.4.271
- FIGO International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics. Treating cancer during pregnancy. URL: https://www.figo.org/news/treating-cancer-during-pregnancy-0016145 (дата обращения — 02.08.2019).
- Hussain N., Selvakumari N., Afadapa F., Amu O. Pregnancy and gastric cancer diagnostic and treatment dilemma. BMJ Case Rep. 2018; 2018. pii: bcr-2017-222963. DOI: 10.1136/bcr-2017-222963
- Committee Opinion No. 656: Guidelines for Diagnostic Imaging During Pregnancy and Lactation. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists' Committee on Obstetric Practice.. Obstet. Gynecol. 2016; 127(2): е75–80. DOI: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000001316
- ESMO European Society for Medical Oncology. ECC 2015 Press prelease: a cancer diagnosis while pregnant should not lead to treatment delay or pregnancy termination. URL: https://www.esmo.org/Conferences/Past-Conferences/European-Cancer-Congress-2015/News/A-Cancer-Diagnosis-While-Pregnant-Should-Not-Lead-to-Treatment-Delay-or-Pregnancy-Termination (дата обращения — 02.08.2019).
- Reichman O., Eldar-Geva T., Paltiel O. Pediatric outcome after maternal cancer diagnosed during pregnancy. N. Engl. J. Med. 2016; 374(7): 692–3. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMc1515462
Find original articles and reviews covering various aspects of neurology, psychiatry and the interview with Professor Marina Arkadievna Kinkulkina
Find original articles and reviews covering various aspects of cardiology, gastroenterology, internal medicine and the interview with Professor Elena Zelikovna Golukhova
Find original articles and reviews covering various aspects of pediatrics and the interview with Professor Evgeny Grigorievich Furman
Find original articles and reviews covering various aspects of endocrinology and the interview with Professor Valentin Viktorovich Fadeev
Igor Evgenievich Khatkov, Head of A. S. Loginov Moscow Clinical Scientific and Practical Centre, Chief Oncologist in and for Moscow is now an honoured member of the American Surgical Association.