Comparison of Sexual Function in Male Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus and Healthy Men Based on the European Male Ageing Study Sexual Function Questionnaire
Objective of the Paper: To study various aspects of sexual function in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM) and healthy men of reproductive age.
Materials and Methods: As stated in the instructions provided by the questionnaire’s authors, the translation was done by two pairs of translators and then evaluated by independent reviewers.
The English-Russian translation was back-translated from Russian into English until the English and Russian versions were fully matched.
EMAS-SFQ was completed by 203 people, aged 26 to 36: 81 subjects who had participated in the Reproductive Function of Estonian, Latvian and Lithuanian Young Men study (2003–2004) and 122 T1DM patients selected from the Lithuanian Diabetes Registry.
Study Results: The method of double forward and back translations, with expert evaluation, was applied to produce a Russian version of the EMAS-SFQ. It is an up-to-date tool for evaluating specific aspects of male sexual function (Cronbach's alpha αst = 0.8).
Overall sexual functioning, sexual functioning-related distress, and changes in sexual functioning over a period of one year were not different to any significant degree in healthy men and EMAS participants, aged 40 to 49. In T1DM subjects, these parameters were not significantly different from those in EMAS participants, aged 50 to 59, with the exception of a significant difference in the degree of sexual distress.
During their first ten years with diabetes, T1DM patients had significantly lower masturbation scores and significantly higher sexual functioning-related distress scores than healthy men; while overall sexual functioning and erectile function scores became significantly lower only after 10 years of the disease.
Conclusion: In male patients with T1DM, the Russian version of the EMAS-SFQ identifies sexual dysfunction within the first year of the disease and a statistically significant reduction in overall sexual functioning and erectile function after the first 10 years. This questionnaire may be recommended for wide use in clinical practice.
T. Kurakovas — Medical Academy of the Lithuanian University of Health Sciences, Kaunas. Е-mail: email@example.com
N. N. Stenyaeva — V. I. Kulakov Research Center for Obstetrics, Gynecology and Perinatology, Moscow. Е-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
T. Bashmakova — The Center of Endocrinology at Vilnius University. Е-mail: email@example.com
L. Lašaitè — Medical Academy of the Lithuanian University of Health Sciences, Kaunas. Е-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
V. Urbanavičius — The Center of Endocrinology at Vilnius University. Е-mail: email@example.com
N. Smetanina — Medical Academy of the Lithuanian University of Health Sciences, Kaunas. Е-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
R. Verkauskienè — Medical Academy of the Lithuanian University of Health Sciences, Kaunas. Е-mail: email@example.com
V. Matulevičius — Medical Academy of the Lithuanian University of Health Sciences, Kaunas. Е-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
I. Matulevičiūtè — Medical Academy of the Lithuanian University of Health Sciences, Kaunas. Е-mail: email@example.com
D. F. Chritinin — I. M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University. Е-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Meuleman E. J., Hatzichristou D., Rosen R. C., Sadovsky R. Diagnostic tests for male erectile dysfunction revisited. Committee Consensus Report of the International Consultation in Sexual Medicine. J. Sex. Med. 2010; 7(7): 2375–81.
- O'Connor D. B., Corona G., Forti G., Tajar A., Lee D. M., Finn J. D. et al. Assessment of sexual health in aging men in Europe: development and validation of the European Male Ageing Study sexual function questionnaire. J. Sex. Med. 2008; 5(6): 1374–85.
- Corona G., Lee D. M., Forti G., O'Connor D. B., Maggi M., O'Neill T. W. et al. Age-related changes in general and sexual health in middle-aged and older men: results from the European Male Ageing Study (EMAS). J. Sex. Med. 2010; 7(4 Pt.1): 1362–80.
- Han T. S., Tajar A., O'Neill T. W., Jiang M., Bartfai G., Boonen S. et al. Impaired quality of life and sexual function in overweight and obese men: the European Male Ageing Study. Eur. J. Endocrinol. 2011; 164(6): 1003–11.
- Tajar A., O'Neill T. W., Lee D. M., O'Connor D. B., Corona G., Finn J. D. et al. The effect of musculoskeletal pain on sexual function in middle-aged and elderly european men: results from the european male ageing study. J Rheumatol. 2011; 38(2): 370–7.
- Matulevičius V., Preikša R. T., Žilaitienė B., Nikulina S., Veličkienė Dž., Lašaitė L. et al. Translation of European male ageing study sexual functions questionnaire (EMAS-SFQ) to Lithuanian and the search for control group of potentially surveyed men (Article in Lithuanian). Lietuvos endokrinologija. 2012; 20(1–4): 57–66.
- Matulevičius V., Ostrauskas R., Preikša R. T., Žilaitienė B., Verkauskienė R., Urbanavičius V. et al. Lietuvos 26–36 metų vyrų seksualinės funkcijos sandara(Article in Lithuanian). Seksualine medicina. 2013; 1: 8–14.
- Punab M., Zilaitiene B., Jørgensen N., Horte A., Matulevicius V., Peetsalu A. et al. Regional differences in semen qualities in the Baltic region. Int. J. Androl. 2002; 25(4): 243–52.
- Matulevičiūtė I., Ostrauskas R., Verkauskienė R., Urbanavičius V., Matulevičius V. Analysis of sexual function of healthy and type 1 diabetes males using the European Male Ageing Study sexual function questionnaire (masturbation) (Article in Lithuanian language). Seksualinė medicina. 2014; 2: 3–7.
- Matulevicius V. Male reproductive capacity, evaluated by testis volume, sperm quality and reproductive hormones as an ethnic characteristic of the population. Acta Endocrinologica (Buc). 2014; 10(4): 655–65.
- Lee D. M., Tajar A., Ravindrarajah R., Pye S. R., O'Connor D. B., Corona G. et al. Frailty and sexual health in older European men. J. Gerontol. A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 2013; 68(7): 837–44.
- Rosen R. C., Cappelleri J. C., Smith M. D., Lipsky J., Pena B. M. Constructing and evaluating the “Sexual Health Inventory for Men: IIEF-5” as a diagnostic tool for erectile dysfunction (ED). Int. J. Impotence Res. 1998; 10(suppl.3): S35.3. Corona G., Lee D. M., Forti G., O'Connor D. B., Maggi M., O'Neill T. W. et al. Age-related changes in general and sexual health in middle-aged and older men: results from the European Male Ageing Study (EMAS). J. Sex. Med. 2010; 7(4 Pt.1): 1362–80.