A New Approach to Management of Bronchial Asthma of Any Severity Level
Objective of the Review: to review references in the use of budesonide-formoterol in bronchial asthma (BA).
Key Points. Description the of BA management concepts evolution; description of major clinical trials for budesonide/ formoterol, underlying the new concept of using this new fixed combination as an anti-inflammatory bronchial spasmolytic. Literature analysis demonstrated that the use of budesonide/ formoterol has been verified only when delivered via Turbohaler (a multidose powder inhaler).
Conclusion. Budesonide/ formoterol for “as needed” use as an anti-inflammatory bronchial spasmolytic with or without supportive therapy is a contemporary approach to management of any BA in patients aged 12 years and over; the product simplifies the therapy, ensures optimal long-term effect, reduces the number of complications, and allows reducing the inhaled glucocorticosteroid dose for the patient. Therefore, it is obvious that this approach has been included both into the latest Global Initiative for Asthma, and clinical guidelines of the Russian Respiratory Society.
Contributions: Vizel, A.A. — core text of the article. Belevskiy, A.S. — review of critically important material, scientific review. Vizel, I.Yu. — sources translation and preparation, spelling check, technical processing.
Conflict of interest: The authors declare that they do not have any conflict of interests.
A.A. Vizel (Corresponding author) — Kazan State Medical University of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation; 49 Butlerov Str., Kazan, Russian Federation 420012. eLIBRARY.RU SPIN: 5918-5465. ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-5028-5276. E-mail: email@example.com
I.Yu. Vizel — Kazan State Medical University of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation; 49 Butlerov Str., Kazan, Russian Federation 420012. Central Scientific and Research Institute of Tuberculosis; 2 Yauzskaya Alley, Moscow, Russian Federation 107564. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
A.S. Belevskiy — N.I. Pirogov Russian National Research Medical University of the Ministry of Public Health of the Russian Federation; 3 Rakhmanovskiy per., Moscow, Russian Federation 127994. E-mail: email@example.com
- Rehman A., Amin F., Sadeeqa S. Prevalence of asthma and its management: a review. J. Pak. Med. Assoc. 2018; 68(12): 1823–7.
- McGeachie M.J., Wang A.L., Lutz S.M., Sordillo J.E., Weiss S.T., Tantisira K.G. et al. Real-Life patterns of exacerbations while on inhaled corticosteroids and long-acting beta agonists for asthma over 15 years. J. Clin. Med. 2020; 9(3): 819. DOI: 10.3390/jcm9030819
- Pan R., Wang X., Yi W., Wei Q., Gao J., Xu Z. et al. Interactions between climate factors and air quality index for improved childhood asthma self-management. Sci. Total. Environ. 2020; 723: 137804. DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.137804
- Ushakova D.V., Nikonov E.L. Еpidemiology of asthma. Therapy. 2018; 2(20): 90–5. (in Russian)
- Oliveira Lima A. Asthma, symptoms, pathology, diagnosis, treatment. Hospital (Rio J.). 1947; 31(4): 625–45.
- Andersson E. Prednisone in the treatment of bronchial asthma; comparative study on the effect of cortisone and prednisone. Acta. Allergol. 1955; 9(4): 297–303.
- Frey H. Long-term effects of injectable depo-corticosteroids. Tidsskr. Nor. Laegeforen. 1971; 91(18): 1412–13.
- Inman W.H.W., Adelstein A.M. Rise and fall of asthma mortality in England and Wales in relation to use of pressurised aerosols. Lancet. 1969; 2(7615): 279–85. DOI: 10.1016/s0140-6736(69)90051-8
- Global Strategy for Asthma Management and Prevention. Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA). Updated 2018. URL: https://ginasthma.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/wms-GINA-main-pocket-guide_2018-v1.0.pdf (Access date: 15.06.2020).
- Castle W., Fuller R., Hall J., Palmer J. Serevent Nationwide Surveillance study: comparison of salmeterol with salbutamol in asthmatic patients who require regular bronchodilator treatment. BMJ. 1993; 306(6884): 1034–7. DOI: 10.1136/bmj.306.6884.1034
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Study of asthma-drug halted. FDA Talk Paper. 2003: T03–06.
- Price D., Fletcher M., van der Molen T. Asthma control and management in 8,000 European patients: the REcognise Asthma and LInk to Symptoms and Experience (REALISE) survey. NPJ Prim. Care Respir. Med. 2014; 24: 14009. DOI: 10.1038/npjpcrm.2014.9
- Stanford R.H., Shah M.B., D'Souza A.O., Dhamane A.D., Schatz M. Short-acting beta-agonist use and its ability to predict future asthma-related outcomes. Ann. Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2012; 109(6): 403–7. DOI: 10.1016/j.anai.2012.08.014
- Suissa S. Statistical treatment of exacerbations in therapeutic trials of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2006; 173(8): 842–6. DOI: 10.1164/rccm.200508-1338PP
- Global Strategy for Asthma Management and Prevention. Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA). Updated 2006. URL: https://ginasthma.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/2006-GINA.pdf (Access date: 15.06.2020).
- O'Byrne P.M., Bisgaard H., Godard P.P., Pistolesi M., Palmqvist M., Zhu Y. et al. Budesonide/formoterol combination therapy as both maintenance and reliever medication in asthma. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2005; 171(2): 129–36. DOI: 10.1164/rccm.200407-884OC
- Chuchalin A.G., Avdeev S.N., Aysanov Z.R., Belevskiy, A.S., Bushmanov A.Yu., Vasilieva O.S. et al. Russian Respiratory Society. Federal clinical guidelines for bronchial asthma diagnosis and management, 2019. URL: https://spulmo.ru/upload/kr_bronhastma_2019.pdf (Access date: 15/06/2020). (in Russian)
- Global Strategy for Asthma Management and Prevention. Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA). Updated 2020. http://www.ginasthma.org (Access date: 15.06.2020).
- Jenkins C.R., Bateman E.D., Sears M.R., O'Byrne P.M. What have we learnt about asthma control from trials of budesonide/formoterol as maintenance and reliever? Respirology. 2020. [Online ahead of print]. DOI: 10.1111/resp.13804
- Vizel A.A., Vizel I.Yu. Some aspects of application of the combination of formoterol and budesonide: what is changed? Medical Council. 2019; 15: 99–104. (in Russian). DOI: 10.21518/2079-701X-2019-15-99-104
- Gavrisyuk V.K. Four decades of innovations in broncho-obstructive condition management. Asthma and Allergies. 2015; 4: 48–50. (in Russian)
- O'Byrne P.M., FitzGerald J.M., Bateman E.D., Barnes P.J., Zhong N., Keen C. et al. Inhaled combined budesonide-formoterol as needed in mild asthma. N. Engl. J. Med. 2018; 378(20): 1865–76. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa1715274
- Beasley R., Holliday M., Reddel H.K., Braithwaite I., Ebmeier S., Hancox R.J. et al. Controlled trial of budesonide-formoterol as needed for mild asthma. N. Engl. J. Med. 2019; 380(21): 2020–30. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa1901963
- Domingo C., Rello J., Sogo A. As-needed ICS-LABA in mild asthma: what does the evidence say? Drugs. 2019; 79(16): 1729–37. DOI: 10.1007/s40265-019-01202-0
- Lipworth B., Chan R., Kuo C.R. Anti-inflammatory reliever therapy for asthma. Ann. Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2020; 124(1): 13–15. DOI: 10.1016/j.anai.2019.10.002
- Luss L.V., Belousov Yu.B., Sidorovich O.I., Glushkova Ye.F. New opportunities in treatment of bronchial asthma. Effective Pharmacotherapy. Pulmonology and Otorhinolaryngology. 2017; 3(1): 10–16. (in Russian)
- Weisfeld L., Shu Y., Shah T.P. Bioequivalence of budesonide plus formoterol (BF) Spiromax and BF Turbohaler (with and without charcoal block) in healthy volunteers. Int. J. Clin. Pharmacol. Ther. 2015; 53(7): 593–602. DOI: 10.5414/CP202238
- Tuncel O., Williams S.A., Kern D.M., Elhefni H., Pethick N., Wessman C. et al. Comparative effectiveness of budesonide-formoterol combination and fluticasone-salmeterol combination for asthma management: a United States retrospective database analysis. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. Pract. 2014; 2(6): 719-26. DOI: 10.1016/j.jaip.2014.07.016
Find original articles and reviews covering various aspects of neurology, psychiatry and the interview with Professor Marina Arkadievna Kinkulkina
Find original articles and reviews covering various aspects of cardiology, gastroenterology, internal medicine and the interview with Professor Elena Zelikovna Golukhova
Find original articles and reviews covering various aspects of pediatrics and the interview with Professor Evgeny Grigorievich Furman
Find original articles and reviews covering various aspects of endocrinology and the interview with Professor Valentin Viktorovich Fadeev
Igor Evgenievich Khatkov, Head of A. S. Loginov Moscow Clinical Scientific and Practical Centre, Chief Oncologist in and for Moscow is now an honoured member of the American Surgical Association.