Quality-of-Life Assessment in Patients with Extrinsic Allergic Alveolitis
Study Objective: To assess the quality of life (QoL) in patients with extrinsic allergic alveolitis (EAA) and to identify the relationship between QoL and different manifestations of this condition.
Study Design: This was a retrospective study.
Materials and Methods: Quality of life was assessed in 32 patients with confirmed EAA, using the St. George's Respiratory Questionnaire (SGRQ). The following parameters were recorded and used in the analysis: patients' sex and age, the duration of the disease (in weeks) from the onset of the first symptoms/X-ray changes, PFT results and diffusing capacity of the lung.
Study Results: The study showed that in chronic patients QoL was more significantly affected by the disease than in acute patients (as assessed by the total score) or subacute patients (as assessed by the symptom score) (p < 0.05). It also demonstrated a correlation between the SGRQ symptom score, on the one hand, and PFT results and diffusing capacity of the lung, on the other. No statistically significant correlation was seen between QoL and disease duration or patient age.
Conclusion: The study showed that EAA deteriorates patients' QoL.
- Макарьянц Н. Н., Лепеха Л. Н., Сивокозов И. В., Шмелёв Е. И. Опыт применения Лазолвана в лечении больных экзогенным аллергическим альвеолитом подострого течения // Доктор.Ру. 2011. № 6 (65). С. 54–57.
- Chang J. A., Curtis J. R., Patrick D. L., Raghu G. Assessment of health-related quality of life in patients with interstitial lung disease // Chest. 1999. Vol. 116. N 5. P. 1175–1182.
- Jastrzębski D., Gumola A., Gawlik R., Kozielski J. Dyspnea and quality of life in patients with pulmonary fibrosis after six weeks of respiratory rehabilitation // J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 2006. Vol. 57. Suppl. 4. P. S139–148.
- Jones P. W., Quirk F. H., Baveystock C. M. The St George's Respiratory Questionnaire // Respir. Med. 1991. Vol. 85. Suppl. B. P. S25–31.
- Khanna D., Clements P. J., Furst D. E., Chon Y. et al. Correlation of the degree of dyspnea with health-related quality of life, functional abilities, and diffusing capacity for carbon monoxide in patients with systemic sclerosis and active alveolitis: results from the Scleroderma Lung Study // Arthritis Rheum. 2005. Vol. 52. N 2. P. 592–600.
Find original articles and reviews covering various aspects of neurology, psychiatry and the interview with Professor Marina Arkadievna Kinkulkina
Find original articles and reviews covering various aspects of cardiology, gastroenterology, internal medicine and the interview with Professor Elena Zelikovna Golukhova
Find original articles and reviews covering various aspects of pediatrics and the interview with Professor Evgeny Grigorievich Furman
Find original articles and reviews covering various aspects of endocrinology and the interview with Professor Valentin Viktorovich Fadeev
Igor Evgenievich Khatkov, Head of A. S. Loginov Moscow Clinical Scientific and Practical Centre, Chief Oncologist in and for Moscow is now an honoured member of the American Surgical Association.